Speedup idea for troff/nroff

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Thu Jan 15 07:48:23 AEST 1987

> ... New troff dropped this (probably because BWK never had it in his
> version).

I have a dim recollection, which may be wrong, of one of the Research folks
saying "we dropped that because it was too hard to keep the precompiled
versions up to date with troff".

Also, my recollection is that you couldn't precompile just any macro package;
because of the odd way it was done, the package had to comply with some
non-trivial restrictions on the order of operations.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology