how do I make a process release its terminal?

Paul Vixie Esq paul at vixie.UUCP
Thu Jan 15 17:16:45 AEST 1987

I have a program that forks itself and exits upon running -- its child
process runs as a daemon forever after.  In 'ps aux', I notice that it
still shows my tty as its control terminal -- even if I log out and
back in.

I see that syslogd, inetd, cron, and the rest do NOT show 'co' as their
control terminal; how do I make this happen for me?

This is (more or less) BSD 4.2, and the program is setuid root.  Thanks...
--
Paul A. Vixie        {ptsfa, qantel, crash, winfree}!vixie!paul
329 Noe Street       dual!ptsfa!vixie!paul at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU