NFS, RFS and the meaning of life

Paul Lansky D0430 at PUCC.BITNET
Fri Jan 9 12:02:07 AEST 1987

In article <2225 at brl-adm.ARPA>, bzs at bu-cs.bu.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>Are there people out there actually running RFS who would like to
>comment on it? Everything said so far makes RFS sound so hypothetical.
>Particularly outside of AT&T and even more particularly anyone with
>experience with NFS also although I for one would appreciate anyone's
>views from a practiced standpoint.

 We are running it on a pair of UvaxIIs, under Ultrix1.1.  It took some
 hacking to get up, but it has been wonderful.  It is quite transparent
 and we make heavy use of symbolic links with it.  When one machine
 goes down linked directories simply appear as symbolic links to
 junk, but everything else is fine.  Overhead seems to be minimal.
 Most users are quite unaware of the machine on which many files they
 use.  I have no experience with NFS, but expect to use it since
 it will probably be easier to upgrade with it than with RFS.