Remote File Sharing (RFS) - SVR3

Monkey Face@unixprt monkey at unixprt.UUCP
Wed Jan 7 14:33:22 AEST 1987

In article <7478 at utzoo.UUCP>, henry at utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Unfortunately, licensing SVR3 is not something that can be taken for granted,
> since the license contains some troublesome clauses about mandatory SVID
> compliance that have made a lot of vendors think twice about it.

It seems appropriate that if you have a UNIX port based on SVR3, that at
least one of the environments available to the user is SVID compliant.
I do not believe that this this disallows having other 'known'
environments available.

Application writers need to have a finite set of environments
to address their work to, else so many things will only run on very
specific environments (like now).

Several vendors are providing this multi-environment solution already.

Monkey Face - Uni-xperts, Milpitas CA
(408) 946-6572