Uuclean flushing mail requests

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.UUCP
Fri Jan 9 12:17:33 AEST 1987

In article <697 at cullvax.UUCP> drw at cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) writes:
>We are using sendmail with uucp as the transport mechanism under
>Ultrix 1.2.  If we cannot connect to one of our neighbors for too
>long, uuclean deletes the uucp request.  What I would like to know is,
>does the originator of the message get any warning that his mail was
>flushed?

Probably not. Under practically all UUCP versions except HoneyDanBer, uuclean
is totally ignorant of what it is deleting. The files are unlinked, the UUCP
administrator is notified, and on some versions the originator of the request
is also notified (this may be an option on uuclean). If the mail originated on
the local machine, then the person who sent the mail may get a criptic notice
about a uux request being deleted. But if the mail was "hopped" from another
machine, the "originator" will be uucp, and the deletion message will go to
the UUCP administrator.

The uucleanup facility of HoneyDanBer (provided by AT&T in System VR2.0.4 and
beyond) attempts to figure out what an queued item is, and send a warning to
the real originator. (If you've ever had mail stranded at ihnp4, then you've
seen the friendly message that HDB sends out.)

<csg>