Installing 4.3BSD (Make depend)

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Wed Jan 21 06:39:36 AEST 1987

	We're currently running 4.2, with non-standard disk partitions on
our RA-81 disk.  We just got the 4.3 tapes and I started to get to work
installing it.  Following the instructions for upgrading a 4.2 system, I
copied the 4.3 /usr file system to an empty partition and changed the
partition table in the 4.3 ra driver and ran config.  The problem is when I
do a "make depend" (we're still running 4.2), our c compiler ignores the
"-M" flag (to generate the dependancy lists) and just starts compiling all
the code.  Arghhh!

	The funny thing is that when I let make finish, I get a bootable
vmunix that works (or seems to work; it booted, but I didn't give it much
of a workout).  Is it safe to assume that if I do a "make clean" and then a
"make vmunix", everything will get done right even if "make depend" didn't
get run?  I know this will waste a lot of time compiling stuff I don't have
to, but I only have to do it once and it seems faster than dumping and
restoring my whole disk.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"