UNIX as a PC file server

sln at cosivax.UUCP sln at cosivax.UUCP
Sat Jan 24 01:22:52 AEST 1987

In article <310 at ahxenix.REL.COM> bob at ahxenix.REL.COM (Bob Leffler) writes:
>In article <111 at eli.UUCP>, geller at eli.UUCP writes:
>> Has anyone crafted a simple fileserver mechanism using a fairly
>> generic version of UNIX and one or more PC's. I'm looking for
>> something that is close to being functionally equivalent to
>> Suns NFS-PCNFS environment without a LAN - using serial lines.
>> This would require, I imagine, the following:
>>
>> 	* an interface and protocol between the UNIX and PC system(s)
>> 	* a device driver for the PC
>> 	* a few primative application programs for the PC, sharedmail,
>> 	  sharedfile, etc.
>
>COSI, in Ann Arbor, MI has a product than does what you requested.  The product
>has changed names since I have last used it, but I believe the current name
>is Syncrony, or something similar.  They generally advertise in Unix World
>and/or Unix Review.

Indeed, COSI, Inc. produces a program that meets the first two specifications
and will let you develop the last one.  The product is called Synchrony and
was called Tango.  It has software for both the PC and the UNIX system.  If
you have any questions about it, call me at 313-665-8778 and ask for Sarah.
I do the tech support for the product so I'm a good place to start.  You
could also ask for a sales rep. but it might be more fun to talk to me.

>The product is a special terminal emulator.
It emulates a number of standard terminals such as the vt100, IBM3101,
TV5410 or 4410 and a graphics terminal (Tek. 4014).

>It it senses that it's a DOS
>command, then it's run on the PC and vice versa if it's a Unix command.
>This is done transparent to the end user.  It actually makes the Unix
>environment appear to be PC-DOS to the end user.
Not quite, your can run DOS commands from the UNIX side and through shell
scripts can make the UNIX machine look a lot like DOS.  The key thing to
note with the product is that it puts UNIX in control not the PC but still
lets you get to the PC CPU.  Note also that the product will let you execute
commands on the pc from another UNIX terminal or a cron type script.

>I was using it with a Burroughs XE-550 and it did appear to work fairly
>well.  The only complaint that I had, was that it wasn't a fully developed
>product a year ago when I did  my tests.  The main problem was that I had
>to write all the scripts files to perform most functions.  Hopefully by
>now, they supply a library of scripts for the common commands.

The product is fully developed.  You wanted everything done for you but
if we had done that, you wouldn't have liked the interface we prepared or
it wouldn't have done quite what you wanted.  The success of the product
has been partially due to the toolbox approach of the product rather.  It
does not dictate how you will use the utilities, it lets you choose how
to use it.  Another note, unlike most PC to UNIX connections, SYNCHRONY
runs on a regular RS232 cable with no additional boards necessary.  Also,
the product will perform binary file transfers under protocol.

I did not mean to be a commercial but thought I should correct some
things

Flames mailed directly to me please