ioctl() through RFS

Jonathan Clark jhc at mtune.ATT.COM
Wed Jan 14 15:27:33 AEST 1987

In article <5505 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>Second, there would seem to still be a problem with ioctls, since the
>third argument to an ioctl is either an int or a struct pointer; the
>int is no problem but how in the world is the struct pointer dealt with?

To put it bluntly, it gets hacked. TC[GS]ET are the problem children.
Can you say switch(arg){ TC[GS]ET?: ... default: ... }?
More fool v7 for not making *all* ioctl()s pass pointers.

>Of course any that are universal (such as struct termio) could be
>mapped correctly on each end since each system knows their structure.

And that's exactly what happens. Ghastly isn't it?
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

My walk has become rather more silly lately.