attaching '/dev/tty' to control group from getty

baird at ucf-cs.UUCP baird at ucf-cs.UUCP
Fri Jan 30 03:36:18 AEST 1987

	I am attempting to write a new getty to run on an IBM RT running
     AIX ( SYSV ).  The client for our package wants a friendlier logon
     screen based upon curses.  They want two methods of logging on.
	 If they give a userid/passwd combo then they will enter into our
	 package. If they enter UNIX for the userid they want to get a
	 regular unix login.

	 My problem is that when I exec '/bin/login', login only prompts
	 for the userid, and always lets the user in without asking for
    a passwd.  The best I can tell is that '/dev/tty' is not being
    associated with the control group.  The reason that the user is
    not prompted for a passwd is that 'getpass' tries to open '/dev/tty'
    and when it can't it return's NULL which login is not expecting.

	Can any body validate my observations, and hopely tell me how
    to attach '/dev/tty' to the control group.

						Larry Baird
uucp: {ihnp4!decvax,peora}!ucf-cs!baird		Dept. of Computer Science
                                            University of Central Florida
                       						Orlando, FL  32816
--
						Larry Baird
uucp: {ihnp4!decvax,peora}!ucf-cs!baird		Dept. of Computer Science
arpa: baird.ucf-cs at csnet-relay			University of Central Florida
csnet:baird at ucf					Orlando, FL  32816