NFS vs. RFS

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu Jan 8 02:27:14 AEST 1987

This NFS-vs.-RFS discussion reminds me of a question I wanted to ask:

When we upgraded our Gould PowerNode 60x0/90x0 systems to UTX/32
Release 2.0, which incorporated NFS support, I was dismayed to
discover that a perfectly ordinary program compiled in the BSD
environment had died in the middle of what appears to be a large
amount of Yellow-Pages support code dragged in from the C library.
This was a total surprise to me, as the UNIX System V emulation
that I provide doesn't include any of this stuff, nor will it!

My question is, is this yp_* library crap really necessary for NFS?
If so, the next question concerns how we go about stamping out NFS.