UNIX-WIZARDS Digest V3#029

Rex Black black at ee.UCLA.EDU
Fri Jan 2 11:55:39 AEST 1987

> Now that System V, Release 3 has been available for 6 months,
> and many vendors are somewhere along the road to porting it to their
> systems, how about some discussion on RFS.
>
> (NFS and 4.[23]BSD fanciers welcome in the discussion.)

A NFS fancier I am not....RFS sounds quite interesting.  I wonder if
it is *really* transparent: i.e., even to system admin. programs.

The reason that I ask is because Pyramid's NFS port definitely is not.
We have a 90x running the SV/4.2 dual port.  We also have a small (5
clients/1 server) Sun/3 network which of course runs NFS.  Unfortunately,
the cartridge tape on the Sun is slower than December molasses, so
when we got NFS for our Pyramid we thought, "Great, no more slow backups
on the Sun.  We'll just use the dump facility on the Pyramid."

Wrongo!  Dump tries to use the *raw* device and NFS just will not
cope with that.  Now I'm not bringing this up to prompt a huge
flame along the lines of "of course you can't do that because
ba-blah ba-blah ba-blah-blah-blah!"  I don't *care* why it doesn't
work--I just know it doesn't.

How about RFS?  Is it really transparent or is this a word which will
be raped to death by ad-men in the next few years?