Increasing Maximum File Size

guy at gorodish.UUCP guy at gorodish.UUCP
Sun Jan 25 07:54:16 AEST 1987

>Recompile unix with:
>/* /usr/include/sys/param.h */
>#define	CDLIMIT	(1L<<13)	/* default max write address */
>
>This will up it to 8192 blocks. Is that enough?

For him, maybe.  For somebody out there, almost certainly not.  I'm
kind of in favor of

#define	CDLIMIT	0x7fffffff	/* or your favorite equivalent */

and explicitly lowering the limit only for those (processes, users,
sessions) that need such a limit.

Presumably, he has a source license; nothing short of making it a
tunable parameter with "config" (which they *finally* got around to,
according to some articles posted here), some gutsy patching of the
kernel, buying your UNIX from somebody who *did* show the guts to
actually *change* AT&T code and make it a tunable parameter will help
people without source, or throwing in some hack like renaming
"/etc/init" to "/etc/init.real" and having "/etc/init" be a program
that sets the file size limit to 0x7fffffff and "exec"ing
"/etc/init.real" will help people without source.