AWK question

pdg at ihdev.UUCP pdg at ihdev.UUCP
Wed Jan 28 03:57:49 AEST 1987

In article <3747 at brl-adm.ARPA> lesh at BRL.ARPA (ISC | howard) writes:
>	THE PROBLEM:
>	"Users should also note that there is an upper limit to the
>number of files that are written in this way.  At present it is ten."*1
>
>	I can't find any way to close a file opened by 'awk' and very
>soon get the "too many opened files error message".
>
>	Any suggestions?
>

>1. Support Tools Guide, p. 6-31.

Any version of awk produced after July '85 (when my documentation says
this feature was added, has the 'close' function.  The close function
is used as follows:

close("filename");

where filename is the name of a file or pipe that has been previously
opened.

I just tried it and it worked with no problems.  Unfortunately, most
awks are not this new, and there does not seem to be a way to accomplish
this on those earlier awks.

--

Paul Guthrie
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg			This Brain left intentionally blank.