Fujitsu 2361's, SC7003's, 4.3BSD

Mike Taylor mat at amdahl.UUCP
Mon Jan 5 12:53:52 AEST 1987

In article <1421 at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, mangler at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (System Mangler) writes:

> The object of sector searching is to avoid tying up the controller
> with disk rotational latency.  It only gains something if another
> drive is ready to do a transfer immediately.  This is an unlikely
> event on a low-end VAX, which doesn't have enough CPU power to
> keep a Massbus controller that busy, and which can ill afford the
> additional interrupts.

Sector searching was introduced (as far as I know - there may have been
prior art) by IBM with the 3330 DASD in about 1970, called Rotational
Position Sensing.  The idea was to optimize the use of S/370 channels,
rather than control units. It worked OK, but now has been enhanced to
allow the reconnecting controller to select among multiple attached channels,
thus improving the chances of a free channel being found when needed.
Since multiple controllers will normally be attached to a channel, the
controller is generally not as scarce a resource.

--
Mike Taylor                        ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,sun}!amdahl!mat

[ This may not reflect my opinion, let alone anyone else's.  ]