copyin

narayan at twg-ap.UUCP narayan at twg-ap.UUCP
Wed Mar 11 10:26:54 AEST 1987

In article <4838 at brl-adm.ARPA>, Conley%csvax.cs.ukans.edu at RELAY.CS.NET writes:
> system: 780, 4.3
>
> "Gotta do a copyin".
>
> Dispensing with what we do ( and don't! ) know about the u area, kernel
>
> Would anyone care to shed some light on this?

This would work on a VAX where the kernel address space begins with the
high order bit turned on. But if you go to some other machine where
it is not possible to distinguish between kernel space and user space,
then this string will be treated to be in the kernel area. They you
may crash and burn. You really need to to do a uchar(I think) not
a copy in to load the string in (after setting u.u_xxx).
--

Narayan Mohanram

Phone:		415-962 7170
ARPANET	 	twg-ap!narayan at lll-tis-b.ARPA
Usenet		{attunix, ihnp4}!amdahl!twg-ap!narayan
USnail		The Wollongong Group
		1129 San Antonio Road
		Palo Alto, CA 94303. USA