UNIX-WIZARDS Digest V3#078

m5d at bobkat.UUCP m5d at bobkat.UUCP
Thu Mar 12 02:36:49 AEST 1987

In article <4836 at brl-adm.ARPA> black at ee.UCLA.EDU (Rex Black) writes:
-> [ ... Mr. Black thinks Gould was wrong to challenge hackers...]
->
->Suppose that a nuclear energy facility had developed what they considered
->an "unbreakable" security system for a plutonium reprocessing plant.
->Would it then behoove the company to seek out a collection of Palestinian
->terrorists and dare them to steal 150 kilos of weapons-grade Pu?  I dare
->say that any company doing this would soon find that its management was
->cooling their heels in a max. sec. prison.  With Unix branching out into more
->and more critical operations (banking, hospitals, national security, etc.),
->what possible right does Gould have to assemble a team of "super-hackers",
->no matter how reliable these people are?
->
->Rex Black
->black at ee.ucla.edu                                          ARPA
->...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf,trwspp}!ucla-cs!uclaee!black     UUCP

A friend of mine who went to the Air Force Academy told me that the
Air Force (maybe the military in general) employs groups called
"tiger teams" to do exactly what Gould is encouraging.  I don't
know about stealing plutonium, though.  That would be dangerous,
and the military certainly wouldn't want to do something dangerous.

--
Mike McNally, mercifully employed at Digital Lynx ---
    Where Plano Road the Mighty Flood of Forest Lane doth meet,