Ultrix & uucp

dave at wor-mein.UUCP dave at wor-mein.UUCP
Thu Mar 5 08:01:04 AEST 1987

Sorry if I've caused any confusion here.  When I was bringing up Ultrix 1.1,
I was unable to get our system to successfully poll another (tikal).  A friend
suggested that I make the user id of the login for tikal different than for
the uucp login.  That fixed our problem.  I don't remember the reasoning
behind it except that I think it had something to do with some system V
compatibility.  I didn't mean to imply that user id for ALL of your logins
for uucp connections had to be different, just that it should be different
from the "uucp" login.  We only poll one machine so all of ours are unique.

We are running Ultrix 1.2 now so I made a little test.  I went back and
changed the user/group id of Utikal from 6:1 to 4:1 which is the same as
uucp.  I got the following messages from uucico -x9:

	RETRY TIME (3300) NOT REACHED
	about to close acu
	clsacu entered
	exit code 0

I tried this several times changing the user id between 4 and 6.  Each time
it is 4 ( same as uucp ), I get the error message.  Each time it is 6,
( unique ), the conection is made.

The passwd file looks like this:

uucp:password:4:1:UNIX-to-UNIX Copy:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico
uudaemon:password:4:1:uucp daemon:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/bin/sh
Utikal:password:6:1:Teltone uucp:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico

If someone can explain what is really going on here, I'd be interested.

					Dave Axness
					...uw-beaver!tikal!wor-mein!dave