Escaping from MILNET to the rest of the world. Help...

eichelbe at nadc.arpa eichelbe at nadc.arpa
Wed Mar 11 13:33:58 AEST 1987

Well, I've tried a lot of things, but I can't get my VAX 11/780 under 4.3
BSD UNIX to access any sites other than MILNET sites when I use the Domain
server "named".

Here are my "named" boot and configuration files.  All files are shown indented
one space.  The files don't actually contain the leading blank.
(1) named.boot -

 ;
 ;       boot file for name server
 ;
 ;       RESIDE:  This file should reside at "/etc/named.boot".
 ;                This is modeled after the example in the
 ;                System Manager's Manual (SMM:chapter 11)
 ;                for a caching only server.
 ;
 ;type		domain			source file
 ;
 domain		NADC.ARPA
 primary	NADC.ARPA		/etc/nadchosts
 cache		.			/etc/named.ca
 primary	0.0.26.in-addr.arpa	/etc/nadchosts.rev
 primary	0.0.127.in-addr.arpa	/etc/named.local

(2) nadchosts -

 ;
 ;	@(#)nadchosts	1.1	(NADC)	87/03/10
 ;
 @		IN	SOA	NADC.ARPA.	root.NADC.ARPA. (
 				1.1	;Serial
 				3600	;Refresh
 				300	;Retry
 				3600000	;Expire
 				3600 )	;Minimum
 		IN	NS	NADC.ARPA.
 localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1
 NADC.ARPA.	IN	A	26.0.0.24
 		ANY	HINFO	VAX-11/780 UNIX

(3) named.ca -

 ;
 ;       initial cache data for root domain servers
 ;
 ;       RESIDE:  This file should reside at "/etc/named.ca".
 ;                This is modeled after the example in the
 ;                System Manager's Manual (SMM:chapter 11).
 ;
 .		99999999	IN	NS	SRI-NIC.ARPA.
 		99999999	IN	NS	BRL-AOS.ARPA.
 		99999999	IN	NS	C.ISI.EDU.
 		99999999	IN	NS	A.ISI.EDU.
 ;
 ;	Prepare the cache
 ;
 SRI-NIC.ARPA.	99999999	IN	A	26.0.0.73
 SRI-NIC.ARPA.	99999999	IN	A	10.0.0.51
 BRL-AOS.ARPA.	99999999	IN	A	128.20.1.1
 BRL-AOS.ARPA.	99999999	IN	A	192.5.22.82
 C.ISI.EDU.	99999999	IN	A	10.0.0.52
 A.ISI.EDU.	99999999	IN	A	26.3.0.103

(4) nadchosts.rev -

 ;
 ;	@(#)nadchosts.rev	1.1	(NADC)	87/03/10
 ;
 @		IN	SOA	NADC.ARPA.	root.NADC.ARPA.	(
 						1.1	;Serial
 						3600	;Refresh
 						300	;Retry
 						3600000	;Expire
 						3600 )	;Minimum
 		IN	NS	NADC.ARPA.
 24		IN	PTR	NADC.ARPA.

(5) named.local -

 ;
 ;       initialize loopback   05 Mar 87   nadc
 ;
 ;       RESIDE:  This file should reside at "/etc/named.local".
 ;                This is modeled after the example in the
 ;                System Manager's Manual (SMM:chapter 11).
 ;
 @		IN	SOA	NADC.ARPA.	root.NADC.ARPA. (
 				1.0	;Serial
 				3600	;Refresh
 				300	;Retry
 				3600000	;Expire
 				3600 )	;Minimum
 		IN	NS	NADC.ARPA.
 1		IN	PTR	localhost.

---

I can reach my own system, SRI-NIC.ARPA, NOSC.MIL, and DTIX.ARPA.  They all
have at least one 26.x.x.x address (MILNET).  I can't reach C.ISI.EDU or
ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU.  The information for Berkeley gets cached, though, and
"telnet" actually prints out the address of Berkeley
(128.32.something.something) before telling me "Network is unreachable".

I have not yet formally applied for a domain name, but the Hostmaster at
SRI-NIC told me NADC.ARPA is in the domain format already, which makes sense
to me.  But should I be saying my domain is ARPA or NADC.ARPA in the above
files?  ARPA might make sense, because the ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU example in
the 4.3 BSD manuals use Berkeley.EDU on the "domain" line.  But because of
multiple problems when I used ARPA I don't know if ARPA was right or wrong.

Our VAX does not have any local network.  We are just hooked into an
IMP via a LH-DH/11.  No ethernet.  The nadchosts.rev really shouldn't
be needed.  I've tried the same files above without the nadchosts.rev
entry in named.boot (and, of course, nadchosts.rev wasn't around then,
either).  I got the same results as I have described.

Also, I'm in the middle of trying to put up the newer "named" I got from
ucbvax, but some routines (or defines) are missing.  The "routines" are
_getshort and _getlong (Note the "_").  "Ld" shows the undefined symbols
as __getshort and __getlong.  Information on this would be helpful, too.

I have a feeling that what I am doing wrong is rather basic.  Does anyone
have any ideas?

Thanks.
		Jon Eichelberger
		eichelbe at NADC.ARPA