"make" SHELL variable

ed at mtxinu.UUCP ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Wed Mar 4 05:05:39 AEST 1987

I agree with Guy Harris's assesment of what would be right for make:
to always use /bin/sh, like the old days.

>>It has always been easy enough for me to put
>>
>>	setenv SHELL /bin/sh
>>
>>in my .login to mollify make.
>
>And possibly confuse other programs that use SHELL to determine which
>shell to use when handling a "shell escape" command - or, more
>likely, confuse the user who tries to use a "shell escape" command.

The workaround I use - that avoids just this side effect - is

	alias	make	make SHELL=/bin/sh

Since variables set on the command line override those from the
environment, this works.  It breaks makefiles that explicitly
assigh tht SHELL variable, though.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."