DMD (Teletype 5620) software

gwyn at BRL.ARPA gwyn at BRL.ARPA
Sun Mar 15 09:39:39 AEST 1987

We have recently installed Dave Prosser's "myx" environment, which
includes a port of Rob Pike's "sam" text editor to System V.  It's
great; I don't know how we lived without it!  Anyone who has the full
DMD host environment (including the Development package) should get this
this package (ordering information given later in this message).

Basically "myx" looks a lot like Rob Pike's "mux" environment; it takes
over the resident terminal emulator functions and provides many improved
features similar to those built into the new model 630 terminal, such as
scroll bars, text repainting after reshaping, downloadable fonts, etc.

"sam" is basically a superset of the "jim" mouse-oriented editor, with
a more extensive command language and many improvements.  "myx" layers
and "sam" can exchange text via a terminal-global snarf buffer.

There are other nice utilities in the package, but those are the biggies.

This software pacakge, which goes by the name "dmd-pgmg", is available
from the AT&T UNIX System ToolChest, which can be accessed by 1200 baud
dialup at (201)522-6900 (password "guest").  The package was updated
some time after December 1986 (earlier versions didn't have "sam").
Unlimited use of the sources at your site costs around $200 including
transmission fee.  This has to be one of the best software deals ever!