UNIX-WIZARDS Digest V3#078

Cherry.XSIS at Xerox.COM Cherry.XSIS at Xerox.COM
Thu Mar 12 06:33:46 AEST 1987

Rex,  The way Unix is distributed, it is NOT a secure system.  It takes
a lot of time to close all the entrances or atleast require a key
(Permission) or password to pass through them.  Since the environment is
designed to be a programmers paradise, and in addition, designed with a
multitude of tools, utilities, and *COMPILERS*, anybody with a sincere
notion of entering and accessing another system with intent to do harm,
can generally do so.

When I was setting up my system which, required a great deal of
security, I removed anything of 'value' and put traces on all processes.
Then, I +advertised+ it on various Bulletin Boards in the greater Los
Angeles area and let the hackers have at it.  The idea was to close any
form of entry that they could find.  Let me tell you, there are some
sharp, unix wise, and creative people out there.  They were also a great
asset in securing the system and they even taught me a thing or two.

I imagine Gould was taught something also.

    For every action, event or entity of the universe there is a good
side
    and there is a bad side.  A wise man knows how to look at both.  An
    optimist sees the good side.  A pessimest only sees the bad.
B.C. & Zot

       /|		PUP/GV : Cherry.XSIS
   \`o_O'		   XNS : Robert Cherry:XSIS:Xerox
     ( )  Aachk! Phfut!   ARPA |
rocksanne!anb02!cherry%rochester:ARPA:Xerox
      U 		       : rocksanne!bob
			       : cherry.xsis at Xerox.COM
			  UUCP : rocksanne!bob
       :=work, |=home	       | {rocksanne | gryphon |
wright}!anb02!cherry

	   		   TPC : (818) 351-2351 Ext. 2098
			   XPC : 8 * 844-2098