software density select with tc13 & fuji 2444-ac

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Fri Mar 6 08:20:14 AEST 1987

In article <43125 at beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick at seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>I have a Vax 11/780 running 4.3BSD with an Emulex TC13 controller
>(emulating a ts-11) connected to a Fuji-2444AC tape drive.
>
>Everything works fine except that I can not set the density on the
>tape drive from software.

Some years ago, I did a consulting job for Emulex to implement software
density selection in the ts driver for a *modified* TC13 (they had a
customer who wanted it).  It worked, but did require special ROMs in
the TC13.  There was some problem with version mismatch when I sent
them the driver initially - it didn't test correctly on the hardware
they had in house, although it did work on my development system.
After an hour or so of demonstrating the problem at their facility, the
problem turned out to be with the particular transport they had - it
worked correctly with the Cipher I used for debugging.  Beyond that, I
don't remember the details of the problem.

Since that time, Emulex has been massively reorganized, and I've found
them *very* unresponsive to Unix-related problems.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."