crypt

brunner at sri-spam.UUCP brunner at sri-spam.UUCP
Wed Mar 11 13:50:48 AEST 1987

>(My Western European friends may need to allow a few extra days...)

Umm, having worked for three years in europe (western, I swear, western)
I feel that you are being unnecessarily generous...remember that crypt
was distributed broken for years and anyone who cared to decrypt his/her
own files...

One should bear in mind that this is the technology that protected the
Bismark, the UNIX rotor engine, not the DES engine.

When ATT was dickering with my former clients, the X/OPEN folks, then
the OPEN UNIX CLUB or BISON, they were a tad amusing in their serious
reservations concerning ex(1) and crypt(3). The BISON view was
	"who cares if they don't get what they've already got",
from one or more German member companies...

Some more dated memories from yours truely...

--
how about a great big spidery "X"?