Daylight Savings Time

rcpilz at ablnc.UUCP rcpilz at ablnc.UUCP
Thu Mar 12 08:19:19 AEST 1987

On April 5th at 2:00 AM, daylight savings time wil be in effect. This is
3 weeks earlier than normal. In UNIX System V, there is a library routine
ctime(3C) which has the last weekend in April hardcoded into it rather
than the first weekend. The program must be modified and recompiled
along with 70+ programs that call ctime, ascitime, localtime, and date.
If you are internal users of R&D UNIX (aka 452 UNIX), or DPCT UNIX supported
systems, this fix will be automatic. If you buy AT&T UNIX System software,
and you get monthly bulletins, there is a recommended fix. The fix is
to make an entry in root's cron to adjust for daylight saving's time
on Sunday morning of the 5th and to undo the adjustment on the 26th
when ctime kicks in. This is nice on systems without source. I think
the code modify of ctime.c and the recompile is a better fix. Still
better is a feature in the future release of UNIX System software
that has an /etc file similar to the /usr/lib/acct/holidays file
that lets the administrator enter in the yearly on and off dates
for daylight savings time. Even though it is yetanotherfile, it allows
for system changes of local time differences without regenning the
kernal. As for BSD, it may not even be an issue, I am unfamiliar
with your internals. But check it out.
Disclaimer: These are my opinions not my employers except where stated.
2301 Maitland Center Pkwy =-----=======   | |__| |  | | \  \ \_\ | |
Maitland, Fl 32751	  ==---========   |  __  |  | | /   \ __ | |