Unix userid conventions

djfiander at watnot.UUCP djfiander at watnot.UUCP
Sun Mar 8 10:50:36 AEST 1987

This is not exactly a Unix userid convention, but it does say something
about security and userids:

A _long, long_ time ago I worked for a certain large computer company
(nudge, nudge) in a research facility that they operate in Toronto.
They were so security conscious that I had to use a mag-strip card to get
from my office to the cafeteria, however my userid, and those of everybody
elses on the system, was my last name and my initials (up to a limit of
eight characters, of course).

I don't see how having cryptic userids does anything but make it difficult
to communicate through the obvious medium of electronic mail.

--
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying"

UUCP  : {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utzoo,clyde}!watmath!watnot!djfiander
CSNET : djfiander%watnot at waterloo.CSNET