Increasing the number of file descriptors

djm408 at tijc02.UUCP djm408 at tijc02.UUCP
Thu Mar 12 00:40:28 AEST 1987

     My company is working on a product that could run out of file descriptors.
We are using System V Release 2.2. We would like to increase the number of
file descriptors available to each process. I looked through the source code
and determined that the file descriptor table is an array 'NOFILE' in size.
NOFILE is set to 20 in /usr/include/sys/param.h. If we recompile the kernel with
NOFILE set to say 40, how would we be affecting the rest of the system? What
subtle (or not so subtle) problems would we create in doing this? Has anybody
done this before?

     Thanx in advance for any reponses.

                             David J. Marks

                             M. S. 3520