Referencing through a null pointer

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Tue Apr 26 09:07:50 AEST 1988

> ... at Computer Consoles, our 68K machine had no location 0 accessible from
> user mode, because there were no separate kernel and user address spaces, the
> kernel portion was read-and-write protected in user mode, and the interrupt
> vector had to live at the bottom of the address space and it was considered
> part of the kernel.  The same problem may have occurred at Sun.

I believe exactly the same situation occurred on the Sun 1, in fact, since
the 68000 couldn't relocate its interrupt vectors and Sun's MMU had the user
and the kernel sharing the address space.
--
"Noalias must go.  This is           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
non-negotiable."  --DMR              | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry