talk and talkd

Brian Wallis brw at jim.odr.oz
Thu Apr 14 12:01:47 AEST 1988

Does anyone know the protocol that the `talk' program uses to talk to the
daemon `talkd'? Or does anyone have source to a PD `talk' program?
(In case it's relevant, we are running Ultrix 2.0 on a MvaxII + SunOS 3.2
on a Sun3/110)

What I would like to do is write a version to use with a GNU emacs `talk'
mode rather than suspend emacs each time I use talk (a lot).

I'd also like to stop talkd splattering it's message all over the screen, a
message in the mode line and ringing the bell would be better.

--
Brian Wallis (brw at jim.odr.oz)		    O'Dowd Research P/L.
	(03) 562-0100 Fax: (03) 562-0616,