command line options

Dave Horsfall Unknown at stcns3.stc.oz
Thu Apr 14 09:35:55 AEST 1988

In article <8041 at elsie.UUCP> ado at elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>I clearly wasn't clear enough here.  Let's say I have a command "-w" in my
>"bin" directory that I use as a shorthand for "chmod -w", and a command "-x"
>that I use as a shorthand for "chmod -x".  (And yes, this is a real-life
>example).  Now watch what happens with two different uses of "od -?":

I seem to recall some Unix documentation somewhere saying something like
"Note: it is generally unwise to have file names starting with `-'".  Now,
if people are going to ignore the recommendations of a Unix author...  :-)

Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU), Alcatel-STC Australia, dave at stcns3.stc.oz
dave%stcns3.stc.OZ.AU at uunet.UU.NET, ...munnari!stcns3.stc.OZ.AU!dave
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU), Alcatel-STC Australia, dave at stcns3.stc.oz
dave%stcns3.stc.OZ.AU at uunet.UU.NET, ...munnari!stcns3.stc.OZ.AU!dave