A suggestion: .... == ../../..

Lawrence V. Cipriani lvc at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
Tue Apr 19 10:31:18 AEST 1988

In article <75 at vertical.oz> greg at vertical.oz (Greg Bond) writes:
>As the title suggests, this is a feature I would like to see
>in unix.

If you mean the operating system sold by AT&T it's UNIX.  Fair enough?

>(Yes, let's change the world...)
Not so fast, see below.

>Under Netware on PCs, the command
>	cd ....\run
>is equivalent to
>	cd ..\..\..\run
>but much easier to think and type.
>(NB: on DOS '\' is path specifier, not '/')
>
>This generalises: . = current dir, .. = parent dir, ... = grandparent etc.
>
>	[text deleted]
>Do others like this?

It's ok.  I like the / or \ as a separator to help parse the dots.
... is already used by some applications under UNIX.

Changing something like this at this point is almost impossible
but you are free to do so if you have access to source code.
You should ask the Free Software Foundation folks, they might
consider it for GNU (their UNIX like operating system).

--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems and Ohio State University
Domain: lvc at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu