RFS vs. NFS (really Locus and AIX)

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Mon Apr 4 10:55:37 AEST 1988

In article <10206 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, ekrell at hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) writes:
> Again, you're considering execution semantics, which clearly don't
> belong in the File System. On Locus (now part of IBM's AIX), you could
> exec any binary on any node and it would be executed on an appropriate
> cpu. eg, exec'ing a Vax binary from a Sun would make it run on a Vax
> CPU if available, fail otherwise.

I was not aware that AIX incorporated any such semantics from the Locus
project; it wasn't mentioned as part of IBM's AIX family definition or of
their "DS"--Distributed Services, in a briefing I attended in Austin last week.
"Locus" the company bears little resemblance to the UCLA project; it shares
the name and a few principals.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer at harvard.harvard.edu
dyer at spdcc.COM aka {ihnp4,harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!dyer