access(2) (was: Writing to A NON-Existing File in "C")

Rob McMahon cudcv at daisy.warwick.ac.uk
Sun Apr 24 07:21:25 AEST 1988

In article <975 at unmvax.unm.edu> mike at turing.UNM.EDU.UUCP (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
>% whoami
>foo
>% su
>Password:
># nifty_program
>
>Note that nifty program will now have REAL uid foo and EFFECTIVE uid
>root.

Well I can't speak for SYS5, but BSD certainly doesn't work that way,
and I imagine su is one of those programs that has come down unchanged
from the mists of time.  su calls setuid which sets both the real and
effective uid's.

I suppose 1001 other people are going to say this, and I ought to keep
stumm for a while, but I hate to see misinformation going round.

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv at uk.ac.warwick.cu          ARPA:   cudcv at cu.warwick.ac.uk
Rob McMahon, Computing Services, Warwick University, Coventry CV4 7AL, England