Recovery ofremoved files

David Goodenough dg at lakart.UUCP
Mon Apr 18 23:51:48 AEST 1988

>From article <367 at axis.fr>, by inra at axis.fr (Inst. Natl. Rech. Agronomique):
>
> After rm command is it possible to recover removed files

Believe it or not, but way back in the dim and distant past, a guru I
knew at university had an unrm program (from what I could gather, it knew
the nature of the freeblock list, and it looked at where the returned blocks
were put, and then wrote their contents to a different file structure.
Admittedly this was done under UNIX V6 from bell labs - whether the idea is
portable to BSD or System 5, I have no idea.

P.S. I've X-posted to c.u.wizards, cause it's gonna take a genius to write
this program (i.e. someone who know UNIX like the back of his hand)

P.P.S. the program only worked on a fairly quiet day - if system load
was heavy you was out of luck :-) :-)
--
	dg at lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!adelie!cfisun!lakart!dg	+-+-+ |
						  	  +---+