Hand Assembling for the VAX..

charles at ubc-bdcvax.UUCP charles at ubc-bdcvax.UUCP
Fri Apr 1 14:45:21 AEST 1988

>/***** ubc-bdcvax:comp.unix.wizards / e!kishore /  4:10 am  Mar 19, 1988*/
>The question I had is : given a BRW instructionthat looks like
>BRW 1040 (Branch Word) what does the bit pattern look
>like? (assuming the 1040 is in hex). Also BRW seems to allow a maximum
>displacement of 16 bits. What does one use to make bigger jumps?
>	Also if I obtain the address of a function bar using nlist, the actual
>function seems to starts a few bytes after the value returned by nlist. These
>few bytes are probably used to hold some status info. I've been trying to
>figure out the exact size of this area.

At least, on a VAX 11/750 a routine actually starts 2 bytes after
the address given for its name by nlist(3).  Perhaps for larger than
16 bit range branches, you have to implement the branch with a jmp
and surround it with a small local negated logic jump.

--
Charles Mathieson, Biosciences Data Centre, University of British Columbia
UUCP:	<charles at ubc-bdcvax.UUCP> or     Internet: charles at bdc.ubc.ca
	{decvax!ihnp4!alberta,watmath,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!ubc-bdcvax!charles