Disk maps on unix disks (a standard???)

Chris Torek chris at trantor.umd.edu
Mon Apr 18 08:34:03 AEST 1988

In article <355 at tandem.UUCP> narayan at tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:
>In most unix systems, when one makes a file system via an FSCK,

(Must be painful.  I use newfs or mkfs. :-) )

>... Has any-one come up with a standard for putting these partition map
>info on the front a disk on a super-super block so to speak.

4.3-Tahoe has pack labels.  These are stuffed into the middle of the
boot sector.  Only the hp (massbuss disk) and ra (uda50 disk) drivers
really support labels, unless someone has done the up (Emulex sc21
Unibus) driver recently (kre??).

>Then one can mount a disk pack on any unix system, and read it.

Not quite: the label is stored in `native' byte order, so moving
from, e.g., a Vax to a Tahoe will not work.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Computer Science, +1 301 454 7163
Domain: chris at mimsy.umd.edu		Path: ...!uunet!mimsy!chris