Syncing inodes in 4.3 BSD (was 4.3 BSD VAX 11/750 does not seem to sync its disks)

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Apr 7 00:40:33 AEST 1988

In article <276 at usfvax1.UUCP> brankley at usfvax1.UUCP (Bob Brankley ) writes:
>Let me rephrase this as a question.  Just how often is the kernal
>supposed to sync incore inodes that belong to deleted files?

As long as the file is still open, never.  That is, the inode will
appear `unreferenced' but since its i_count is nonzero (even though
its i_nlink is 0), someone is using it.

This is probably what is happening.

>... IF the machine crashes these files WILL BE truly unreferenced.

and fsck will remove them and everything will be happy.

(On the other hand, maybe your kernel has a bug.)