command line options

Peter J Desnoyers peter at athena.mit.edu
Sat Apr 2 01:52:09 AEST 1988

When I worked at Bolt, Beranek, and Newman I wrote some software that
used their option parsing  code, which I remember was quite thorough.
However, it was not quite standard Unix syntax, as values were passed
as -a=something instead of -a something, and standard practice was to
allow both a full keyword (-argument=something) and its abbreviation
(-arg or -a or whatever  you define it to be.) Is there someone from
bbn out there on the net who could describe this more fully? My memory
seems to be fading... I think Uncle Sam owns the code, so we should be
able to get a pretty detailed description of it without worrying about
proprietary concerns.

				Peter Desnoyers
				peter at athena.mit.edu

[I hope this message comes out - I can barely use my editor due to the
noise on the phone lines today.]