command line options

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Mon Apr 11 03:13:00 AEST 1988

In article <191 at sdeggo.UUCP>, dave at sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) writes:
> In article <7639 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
>  >
>  > Personally I don't keep files around with names starting with -.
>  >
> Geez Doug, get up on the wrong side of the keyboard?  I don't keep files
> around that start with - either, but I have created them by mistake on
> occasion.  If we're not perfect we shouldn't be allowed to use Unix?

I don't want to get into the discussion on command line arg
processors, and this is not directed to either of the above
net.readers.  For those wondering a good way to deal with
files beginning with a `-', prefix the filename with `./':

	$ rm ./-silly.file

	$ cat ./-silly.file

This works for many of the cases where the command simply will
not talk to a file starting with a dash.

--
Steve Friedl   V-Systems, Inc.   "Yes, I'm jeff at unh's brother"
friedl at vsi.com  {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl  attmail!vsi!friedl