Lack of buffer space...

caruso%nmsu.csnet at relay.cs.net caruso%nmsu.csnet at relay.cs.net
Wed Apr 6 13:40:18 AEST 1988

We have two VAX (I hope I don't get some flame telling
me it's Vax!) 11/750.  We have BSD 4.3 overlayed with
SUN's 3.4 NFS.  It all seems to work well for the most
part, except that the machine is unreliable!

The vaxens hang about once a day.  Generally, there is
the message

get_myaddress: socket: No buffer space available

that appears after the login name is typed at the login
prompt.  We have traced it down a bit and libc contains
a routine called get_myaddress.  get_myadress contains
a call to socket to try to determine the system's IP
address.

Does anybody have ideas for causes/cures?  It is
becoming increasingly annoying.

Thanks much,
	Scott

|Scott L. Caruso                            Computer Science Department      |
|Computer Operations Group                  NMSU  Box 3CU                    |
|New Mexico State University                Las Cruces, New Mexico  88003    |
|CSNET:  caruso at nmsu.edu                    Telephone:  (505) 646-5318       |
|UUCP:  {nmsunpeaks, unmvax}!karma!caruso   Motto:  Be Too Cool...To Move    |