Lots of NFS cross mounts?

Bruce G. Barnett barnett at vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com
Sat Apr 9 02:53:15 AEST 1988

In article <106600042 at datacube> berger at datacube.UUCP writes:

| Does anyone have any experience with having many (30 or more) partions
| cross mounted on many (30 or more) machines? Are there any impacts
| that we should be aware of?

Someone else mentions disabling the quota checks. YES!!!

Another thing you can do ( besides wait for SunOS 4.0) is to keep the
NFS partitons away from your searchpath. That is, include a
/usr/local/bin in your searchpath, but avoid /usr/server/local/bin
in case the server is down. (You will find it very frustrating
when you can't open a new window if your .cshrc file sets the path
to a down NFS partition).

Instead, make a link from /usr/local/bin/prog or $HOME/bin/prog to
/usr/server/local/bin/prog.

This way, you will only get a timeout when you EXECUTE the program.

Same thing with .rootmenu files - being unable to pop open your root
menu is also frustrating.

Another suggestion is to change the mount point from

	/usr/server
	/home/server
with a symbolic link from /usr/server to /home/server

You don't have to change the /etc/fstab entry, BTW.

what does this get you? - well, you can do this

	cd /usr
	ls -l
	du
without getting hung on down NSF machines.
Also - I believe SunOS 4.0 and BSD-4.3-tahoe are going to a similar
structure.

I have also learned to check out disk  space with either

	df -t 4.2
or
	df &

The rule is - avoid accessing 'wired' NFS mounts in your menus, search
paths, shell scripts, etc.

Current count of diskless Suns: 131

--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett at ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett at steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett