Disk maps on unix disks (a standard???)

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Wed Apr 27 10:13:45 AEST 1988

In article <1766 at cuuxb.ATT.COM>, dlm at cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
> On UNIX System V for the ATT 3B2/5/15/4000 the second  sector  on
> the  disk  is  the VOLUME TABLE OF CONTENTS (vtoc).  It describes
> the disk's partitioning.

The 3B5 I maintain has no vtoc; the partitions are hardcoded into
the driver, thus limiting partition options.  In addition, the
default partitions overlap and we have to manually insure that
filesystems *don't* overlap.  The machine as installed had a root
partition that overlapped /usr by 100 blocks (the size of the
boot area).  It was an exceedingly unpleasant experience when
root filled up one day...

Maybe Sys V Release 3 for the 3B5 fixes this ha ha ha :-)

--
Steve Friedl           V-Systems, Inc.        Spaf for president!
friedl at vsi.com   {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl