The term "Unix-like"

Andrew Klossner andrew at frip.gwd.tek.com
Sun Apr 17 07:48:54 AEST 1988

[]

	'Unfortunately, "POSIX-like" may connote "we've lifted some
	ideas from POSIX, but we have no committment to make it
	particularly look like POSIX" rather than "we'll try our best
	to make it look like POSIX"; I believe the latter is what was
	intended.  (The same problem exists with "UNIX-like", a term
	that is much overused, especially when used to refer to systems
	derived from AT&T code....)'

The term "UNIX-like" is overused by AT&T edict.  Vendors are forbidden
by the license agreement from calling their products "UNIX" or
"UNIX-based," even if it's a vanilla UNIX port.  "UNIX-like" is
acceptable.

This situation is beginning to change; a new program will allow vendors
to call their products "UNIX(tm)" if they meet certain stringent
conditions.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (andrew%tekecs.tek.com at relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]