Reading VAX SID register on ultrix or 4.3bsd

Greg Bond greg at vertical.oz
Fri Apr 29 17:07:04 AEST 1988

In article <337 at hotlr.ATT> dkc at hotlr.UUCP (Dave Cornutt) writes:
> > 	get_kernel_variable(int variable_index)
>Yep, a lot of stuff like getpagesize and getdtablesize could be
>sucked up into this.  Define a bunch of indices in an include file
>for naming the variables (it might be a good idea to divide them
>into hardware-independent and hardware-dependent partitions, with
>plenty of numbers reserved for future use in both).  You might
>also want to make the syscall take a pointer to an area where
>it can deposit the value, so it can return string and structure
>items instead of just ints.

Does this sound like an IOCTL? Which has the advantage of encoding
the arg size and mode into the IOCTL.

What file to do the ioctl on? /dev/proc?

Nasty portability problems, however.

Gregory Bond,  Vertical Software, Melbourne, Australia
ACSnet: greg at vertical.oz,              UUCP: uunet!vertical.oz!greg
Gad! Did *I* start those lightbulb jokes?