Personal Unix machines vs Air Conditioning

Meeks dwm at ihlpf.ATT.COM
Tue Apr 19 08:17:21 AEST 1988

In article <545 at drilex.UUCP>, dricej at drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson) writes:
> Our facilities man puts the cost of weekend air-conditioning at over $200k
> per year, so this is no trivial issue.

That would mean weekday air conditioning is running at better than $500k
per year. How about using several smaller AC units and leaving only those
systems on that cool offices with workstations? Addtionally, stuffing servers
into specific areas with AC of there own. Most diskless machines require
little air-conditioning and could just as easily be turned off until Monday.

Yes, that may mean more than one set of chilled water pipes, etc...

Workstations have problems of thier own which include: power, air, admin,
/dev/null cycles and space. Everybody wants one, I have one, yet I still
think programming would be better off running on windowing terminals ( like:
AT&T 630's ) and major cpu machines. At any rate, these are my notes on AC
and workstations and not necessarily those of my companies or anyone elses.

	--dwm ( Daniel W. Meeks @ [ihnp4!]ihlpf!iecp1!dwm )