How Can I Find Out What a File Systems 'minfree' parameter is?

Samudra E. Haque haque at dg.cs.umn.edu
Fri Apr 1 15:37:22 AEST 1988

Hello,

    [    Universe of Reference:
    My particular machine is a Data General running DG/UX 3.11, a
    System V.2/4.2 Bsd OS (with Bsd file systems minus symbolic
    links). ]

    I'm trying to find out how, after getting a structure of type statfs
    that is defined below, the number of blocks currently in reserve
    for that particular file system. I recognize that f_bfree returns
    the TOTAL number of blocks available including the reserved block
    space. However how can I find just the number of minfree blocks
    that are currently in effect for that file system ? None of the
    man pages for getmntent, fstat, tunefs, mkfs etc. etc. help much
    in this regard.

struct statfs {
    long f_type;            /* type of info, zero for now */
    long f_bsize;            /* fundamental file system block size */
    long f_blocks;            /* total blocks in file system */
    long f_bfree;            /* free block in fs */
    long f_bavail;            /* free blocks avail to non-superuser */
    long f_files;            /* total file nodes in file system */
    long f_ffree;            /* free file nodes in fs */
    fsid_t f_fsid;            /* file system id */
    long f_spare[7];        /* spare for later */
};

    Semi-Related Question:
    Does the berkeley 4.3 df program assume 10% minfree always in
    calculating the percentage of actual file space available ?
    I'm trying to avoid looking at source code to figure the answer.

    Thanks very much.