command line options

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP
Tue Apr 12 11:15:20 AEST 1988

gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ):
> > ...if you plop naive users in front of
> > a terminal running a raw Bourne shell or csh.  They were not
> > intended to serve as naive-user interfaces.

Delving into my old UNIX documentation, I find that naive users were
expected to sometimes use ed as a user interface.  That's right, raw
ed.

I think the Bourne shell *was* intended to be a naive-user interface,
though it's admittedly a terrible one.  The later C-shell and Korn
shell are better user interfaces, and they too are definitely intended
to be naive user interfaces.

Naive user does not mean stupid user.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi