Real Time UNIX

Scott E. Preece preece%fang at xenurus.gould.com
Wed Apr 13 01:42:31 AEST 1988

  From: REILLY at wharton.upenn.edu
> I'm looking for a real time UNIX box to take in
> serial input from 3 IBM PC's at 1000 bits/s, and
> input from another device (not serial, to be
> determined) at 1.2 E 6 bits/s, and then write
> all this data in real time to a tape (possibly
> a Digidata drive, which support 1.2Mbytes/s)
----------
Gould has recently added a number of specifically real-time features to
its UTX/32 operating system (which provides both BSD and System V
environments).

The new features include connected interrupts (user-level routines
entered directly in interrupt context or through signals triggered by
hardware interrupts), a cyclic scheduler (good for polling things),
real-time scheduling priorities (FIFO, fixed priorities higher than the
normal Unix priorities), and a direct i/o facility that lets you
construct and execute i/o commands for special devices with very little
OS involvement).  There is also a hardware privilege mode, which allows
user programs to execute i/o instructions directly.

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana