Intercepting system messages (Was Re: talk and talkd)

Jon Feldman ugfeldmn at sunybcs.UUCP
Thu Apr 21 08:35:51 AEST 1988

In article <969 at unmvax.unm.edu> mike at turing.UNM.EDU.UUCP (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
>In article <233 at jim.odr.oz> brw at jim.odr.oz (Brian Wallis) writes:
>>I'd also like to stop talkd splattering it's message all over the screen, a
>>message in the mode line and ringing the bell would be better.

>Since talkd is the system program, you can't change its behavior.
>Sigh.
>			Michael I. Bushnell
>			HASA - "A" division

	Hmph... It strikes me that there _ought_ to be a way for emacs to
intercept system messages --- I know that mh-* pulls up *temp* windows to
display system messages, much like TPU in VMS.  I wish that I could instruct
emacs to be similarly well-behaved.

	Server mode ("start-server") sounds like a path in the right direction,
but I don't know; I'm no all-knowing gnuisance.  ;-)

	One of you gnuisances out there --- yeah, you!  Pretty please, couldya
tell us proles if there's a way to do this, that is, intercept system messages
so that they don't mess up our windows?

						Danks,

						- Jon
--
Jon Feldman  ugfeldmn at joey.cs.buffalo.edu || rutgers!sunybcs!ugfeldmn _^--^_
A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into     	     / .  . \