4.3 installation problems on an 11/750

MFHorn arosen at eagle.ulowell.edu
Wed Apr 20 22:55:44 AEST 1988

In article <6287 at swan.ulowell.edu> (I) wrote:
>[Trying to bring up 4.3 on a 750; copy reports 446 records (not 205) copied
>and/so mini-root won't boot.]

Thanks to those who replied.  Mostly what was suggested was that we had a
cross between 4.2 and 4.3 disk/tape/tu58 or some such.  And since Berkeley
changed the partition sizes from one to the other, we were having problems.

Unfortunately, none of this helped.  We never ran 4.2, so we didn't have
4.2 tapes, and the 750 ran VMS before we got it, so the the disk was
effectively blank.

The problem turned out to be a bad tape (9 track) [The tape's are almost 2
years old now].  I remade tape 1 of 3 (with localized buildmini/get/maketape
scripts), copied the mini-root from that and it worked ok.

Now I just have to build a generic kernel to boot (the 750s have very
different configurations).  Once this is going I get to try the 11/730.....

Thanks again,
Andy Rosen           | arosen at hawk.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I
ULowell, Box #3031   | ulowell!arosen          |  learned how to make it
Lowell, Ma 01854     |                         |  talk" -Thunder Road
                   RD in '88 - The way it should be