Sticky bit -- To set or not to set.

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Tue Apr 26 11:37:26 AEST 1988

In article <3571 at gryphon.CTS.COM>, sarima at gryphon.CTS.COM (Stan Friesen) writes:
> In article <13085 at brl-adm.ARPA> "oread::barbanis"@coins.cs.umass.edu writes:
> >["When do I use the sticky bit?"]
> The sticky bit should be set *only* for very heavily used programs
> that are not in continuous use. [...] Thus on most systems only vi/ex and
> perhaps the shells need or should have the sticky bit set.

I don't believe that setting the sticky bit on the shell buys
anything.  Once you login, its image stays around because it
is in use -- I believe the sticky bit only affects treatment
of images not being used.  This is reflected by the "only
by programs not in continuous use" statement; the shell is
not likely to be one of these programs.

--
Steve Friedl       V-Systems, Inc.     spaf at purdue for President!
friedl at vsi.com   {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl